Ema Hossain Design Portfolio

Take a look at my other blog EmaHossainDesign Portfolio to see more about my design work

Tie dyed socks


Tie dyeing is fun, the surprise effects and the one off patterns of randomly tying the elastic is really enjoyable. I have been thinking about tie dying children's socks for awhile and yesterday I had ago with some left over red and blue dye. I  am really pleased with the results.


I started with white cotton socks


I randomly wrapped elastic bands onto the pairs to create tie dye patterns


Here is my little helper with some of the equipment used: troughs, salt and dyes


The tie dyed socks were placed in the dye baths

The colour was taken up very quickly and I didn't keep the socks in for long, about ten minutes.


I then undid the elastic bands 



The colour looks vibrant but to have a vibrant colour you need to dye for longer and use more dye, I expected the final colour to be much lighter after the rinse and wash.

The socks were rinsed in a bucket of cold water to remove excess dye, then put into the washing machine for a wash at 30 degrees with washing liquid and dried overnight on a rack.

Here is the end result.
Sweet, candy floss and raspberry ripple and  blueberry shades created with red and blue dye.


I am thinking of making some more and putting them in my folksy shop and maybe even having a stall at the school's summer fayre. 








No comments:

Post a Comment