Ema Hossain Design Portfolio

Take a look at my other blog EmaHossainDesign Portfolio to see more about my design work

customising girls clothes

I used to love clothes shopping and it used to be relaxing and fun especially when it was sheduled in with some girly chat and lunch with my best friends. These days with 3 young children clothes shopping is mainly done in a mad rush or over the internet. I also hardly find anything I like for the girls. The kids departments of many stores are filled with skirts that are too short and tops too skimpy or everything is just a mini version of grown up fashion. Even a simple t-shirts isn't so simple, there is too much emphasis on fashion styling and logos.

So this week I decided to customise plain t-shirts for my 4 year old daughter. A pack of t-shirts cost me £6 and the fabric scraps I already had and here are the results!!

The pretty  little designs on plain t-shirts mean they go with more or less everything, these tees will look fab with trousers or a skirt.

It's so easy too, it hardly took any time at all. First I attached the scraps with wonder web and an iron. Then proceeded to randomly sew around the shapes with straight stitching or a zig zag stitch which is great for sorting out fraying and creating a strong edge.




Here I used a piece of white frayed edge linen and the added the Liberty fabric heart to it.

 Here I have left the edged to fray a little from wear and tear to add an interesting edge

Here I have used a zig zag and a stright stistch to create some definition.
With so many stitch options it would be easy and fun to play around and create alot of detail and interest.

The t-shirts look great and my daughter loves them.



I also turned a pair of old jeans into a pretty girly skirt for my daughter. The jeans were a basic range pair which cost a couple of pounds and were no longer worn by her sister. I cut off the bottom where the legs are and attached a pretty skirt of Liberty print fabric and it's become a firm favourite.



It looks so girly and sweet and cost a fraction of the similar styles that are in the shops and ofcourse so much nicer!!


No comments:

Post a Comment