Ema Hossain Design Portfolio

Take a look at my other blog EmaHossainDesign Portfolio to see more about my design work

hand built and hand painted pottery

This post is a visual record of some of the hand built and hand painted pottery I did over ten years ago.  They have been mostly neglected, one in the garden gathering cobwebs, a couple with a few cracks  so I decided it would be good to photograph them and put them here as a record for myself.

One of the first things I made was this decorative fish tile. The first hand building technique we were taught was slab making.


I also experimented with these colourful coasters



One of my favourites because of the way the colours have come out is this little hand made bowl




This hand built bowl is a  favourite too, here you can see the front with engraved flowers in earthy colours


and the bottom with engraved lines


This one has a fluted edge and flowers engraved into the base, this one has got a bit weathered from being left in the garden




This hand painted bowl was a ready made white ceramic and my design is based on water , mountains and greenery


I've used this regularly as a fruit bowl.  This vase has now got a crack near the base but I love the colours and it now sits in the garden





This salt pig didn't quite come out as planned but I love the organic feel and the colour and grainy texture of the finish.




Hand building pottery is alot of fun, very tactile and easy to built something spectacular with hardly any tools it's definately something I'll be trying again, this time with the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment